Business environments around industrial campuses and factories vary but the same methods can be used to analyze them and identify new business opportunities from 5G. University of Oulu researchers together with Aalto University have developed a framework for busines environment analysis for wide-spread adoption of wireless solutions in industrial use including four steps:
- business ecosystem and stakeholder identification,
- value network configurations and detailed techno-economic analysis,
- alternative business model creation, and
- understanding and influencing of related regulations.
These steps involve a deep interplay of business, regulation and technology perspectives. For success, the business environment analysis requires a close collaboration between industry, academic and regulation domains. 5G-VIIMA project brought together key stakeholders including industrial campus owners, network vendors, mobile network operators, ICT service providers, technical and business researchers, and regulators among others to create a joint outlook of the potential of 5G in real industrial sites.
Reference and more information:
- Matinmikko-Blue, S. Yrjölä, P. Ahokangas and H. Hämmäinen. Analysis of 5G spectrum awarding decisions: How do different countries consider emerging local 5G networks? European Conference of the International Telecommunications Society (ITS), Online event, 21-23 June 2021.
- Yrjölä, P. Ahokangas & M. Matinmikko-Blue. Sustainability as a Challenge and Driver for Novel Ecosystemic 6G Business Scenarios. Sustainability 2020, Vol. 12, No. 21, https://doi.org/10.3390/su12218951
- Ahokangas, M. Matinmikko-Blue, M. Latva-aho, V. Seppänen, A. Arslan, A. & T. Koivumäki. (2021). Future Mobile Network Operator Business Scenarios: Sharing Economy and 5G. In Baikady, R & Baerwald, P. (Eds): The Palgrave Handbook of Global Social Change. Palgrave macmillan.
- Matinmikko-Blue, S. Yrjölä & P. Ahokangas. (2020). Moving from 5G in Verticals to Sustainable 6G: Business, Regulatory and Technical Research Prospects. CrownCom conference, virtual, 25-26 November 2020.
- Yrjölä, M. Matinmikko-Blue, P. Ahokangas. “How could 6G Transform Engineering Platforms Towards Ecosystemic Business Models?” 2nd 6G Wireless Summit, 17-20 March 2020, Levi, Finland.
- Matinmikko-Blue, S. Yrjölä, P. Ahokangas. “Spectrum Management in the 6G Era: Role of Regulation and Spectrum Sharing.” 2nd 6G Wireless Summit, 17-20 March 2020, Levi, Finland.
- Ahokangas, S. Yrjölä, M. Matinmikko-Blue. “Antecedents of future 6G mobile ecosystem.” 2nd 6G Wireless Summit, 17-20 March 2020, Levi, Finland.
- Yrjölä, P. Ahokangas, M. Matinmikko-Blue, “Novel platform-based ecosystemic business models in the future mobile operator business”, Nordic Academy of Management Conference (NFF), 22-24 August 2019, Vaasa, Finland.
- Mansoori, P. Ahokangas, M. Matinmikko-Blue, S. Yrjölä, “Alternative value configurations for emerging local 5G operators in ecosystemic context: Factory of future case”, Nordic Academy of Management Conference (NFF), 22-24 August 2019, Vaasa, Finland.
- Walia, H. Hämmäinen, K. Kilkki, S. Yrjölä, “5G network slicing strategy for a smart factory,” Computers in Industry, vol. 111, October 2019, pp. 108-120.
Marja Matinmikko-Blue, Centre for Wireless Communications, University of Oulu